mardi 20 décembre 2011

The cistern experience, Istanbul

When I was in Istanbul, I decided to go to the cistern. A tremendous undergroud pool, 138m long and 64.6m wide located in the historical part of town, beautiful monument built aroud the 3rd century.

It was an interesting experience. The monument itself is impressive. What struck me more is people's behaviour. Taking pictures in every corner, of every single column.

I followed the crowd and I found hard to make this common place a personal and unique discovery. I was just another tourist among the gregarious mass. I thought I could differentiate by not taking pictures and trying to observe tourists. I certainly did not succeed. It's a strange feeling to see people taking pictures of themselves in a cistern where there is almost no light. A smiling girl pushing the stone wall. A guy posing between columns. A kid touching the water. All characters of an instant already converted into a memory.

Visiting the place is not enough. We need to consume it and take over it. By having a portrait of oneself, we not only visit the place, we also bring back a fragment of our stay. And when coming back home, we will be able to show everyone our insignificant picture.

I walked straight to the entrance opposite direction. That is where I believe to have reached the top of human silliness. On the left was a wish pool indicated by a 4 languages sign. A totaliarian way of telling people what they should do, how and when.

A bit further was standing Medusa, a legendary stone serving as a base for one of the columns. Again, flashes everywhere. It was hard to concentrate.


There was a guard next to Medusa. He seemed bored. In an attempt to share my feelings about the situation he was an everyday witness, I questionned him about tourists' behaviour. He answered me by enumerating the cistern's dimensions. He added, "it's very good that prople are getting picture".

I finally followed the exit signs. I had a look at the cistern café where you can get espressos and Mars for 5 laris each (2 euros) while enjoying the panorama. I rushed to the stairs to flee this madness.

2 commentaires:

  1. Je tiens à préciser que cet article écrit en anglais demeure et restera une exception. Pour une fois j'en ai profité pour que les gens que je croise sur le chemin puissent me lire.

    Je ne compte par contre pas poursuivre en anglais pour la simple et bonne raison que ce serait participer à la prépondérance de l'anglais dans les médias, ce que je ne souhaite pas.

    Si certains le désident je ferais une version française de cet article.

    Yannick

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. L'avantage des photos est qu'elles ne sont contraintes à aucune langue.
    Seul l'imaginaire, ou les souvenirs (les vrais) peuvent les faire parler.
    ;)
    W.

    RépondreSupprimer